Helping those transforming public services by making it simpler, clearer and faster for them to buy what they need.
Today we’re sharing our strategy for everyone to read. It outlines our commitments for developing and growing the Digital Marketplace as a commissioning platform. This is a two year programme that will bring about lasting change in the way that government and the wider public sector think about, and commission, digital. We’ll deliver the strategy in collaboration with the Crown Commercial Service (CCS).
The strategy builds on the success of the G-Cloud programme which has challenged traditional ways of buying cloud technology, by encouraging more open markets and providing simpler forms of contracts. This has allowed SMEs to compete alongside larger suppliers and has delivered savings for the taxpayer.
The strategy includes a seven point action plan that will:
- encourage a competitive market and evolving market that contains:
- the right range of products and services
- the right people to provide products and services
- the right price and value against products and services
- ensure new iterations of frameworks meet the Government Digital Service (GDS) design principles
- ensure people use the Digital Marketplace so that spend that can go through it, does go through it
- create a government-to-government market where we will actively engage and educate buyers as well as promote the Digital Marketplace
- build stronger communities, providing a way to connect:
- people transforming public services
- communities of relevant experts
- resources to deliver the right project outcomes
Continuous iteration and designing around users
We will continue to iterate and improve the Digital Marketplace platform so that its a fully digital by default commissioning platform useable by both central and local government and the wider public sector. User needs will be at the heart of its design. In the same way that the GDS transformation programme is designing services so good that people will choose to use them, so the Digital Marketplace will be an exemplar that those transforming public services will want to use for commissioning goods and services.
We'll provide regular updates on the progress we’re making in delivering the action plan.